Nothing to see here!

The chubby Bobby statue honours a real life policeman that used to stroll around the Market place keeping the city in order. Taking a picture with him is a must!

Sort by category

Greenhouses Romeo ja Julia.

Botanical Garden of the University of Oulu

The Botanical Garden of the University of Oulu is one of the northernmost scientific gardens in the world. Botanical Garden collection of plants is maintained for teaching and research purposes and it is open to the public.

Collections include more than 4,000 different plant species and provide an overview of global vegetation diversity. Botanical Garden is also a testing and experimental area for many new and rare plants. The landmark of the Oulu Botanical Garden are the pyramid-shaped greenhouses Romeo and Julia where about 1,200 exotic plant species are presented. Science Garden of the University of Oulu is also located here.

Outdoor garden is open every day 8 AM – 8 PM and is free of charge. Greenhouses are open Tue – Sun 10 AM -4 PM, with voluntary admission fee of 5 €.

Kaitoväylä 5, PL 3000
90570, Oulu
Oulu market square policeman.

Oulu Market Square Policeman Statue

Over centuries, Oulu Market Square has offered its visitors a year-round, lively meeting and trading place which has also required guarding. A peculiar feature in the local policing history were the Market Square policemen who kept an eye on the Market Square and maintained order there. Through them, the townspeople and those who came from the province became acquainted first-hand with the authorities and the police.

The era of Market Square policemen in Oulu lasted from 1934 until 1979. After the patrolling ended, the policemen were commemorated through a citizen’s fundraiser for erecting a bronze statue in front of the Market Hall. The Market Square Policeman’s statue was designed by sculptor Kaarlo Mikkonen.

Standing at 2.2 metres, the robust policeman with his cap and Sam Browne belt has become a symbol of Oulu over the years and is a popular choice for selfie buddies. So go ahead and snap a friendsie with the jolly Policeman and prove you were really in Oulu!

Kauppatori
90100, Oulu
A hand-winched block ferry to Varjakka island.

Varjakka Industrial Heritage Site And Nature Trail

Varjakka has a colourful history full of local stories. The island houses an old sawmill that is important for reasons of both cultural history and architecture. The collection of buildings around the sawmill is an intact entity and rare by international standards. It has also been declared a nationally significant cultural environment. Varjakka is located just over 20 kilometres from Oulu city centre.

The island of Varjakka was a ship and renovation dock in the 19th century, before seeing its golden age in the early 20th century when the largest sawmill in the Nordic countries operated on the island. The island and the Varjakka area on the continent constituted a sawmill community that used to employ as many as 700 people.

Nowadays, the island is a forested destination of natural beauty. You can reach it in the summertime with your own boat, a kayak, a SUP board, or a hand-winched block ferry – an unforgettable experience especially if you are travelling with children. You can explore the island on your own or hire a guide. The Varjakka area also has a beach, the all-year Warjakka Art Trail, and a B&B accommodation.

South of Varjakka Island, there is the 263-hectare nature reserve of Akionlahti, a popular resting place for migrating birds. The area has a nature trail, a tower for birdwatching, and a campfire site.

Varjakantie 223
90470, Oulu
Inside Oulujoki church.

Oulujoki church

The national romantic spirit of the twentieth century was brought to life in the architecture of Oulujoki church, completed in 1908. The church was designed by the architect Viktor J. Sucksdorff of Oulu province, and it also contains Karelian influences. The atmospheric church is the only preserved wooden church in the art nouveau style in Northern Finland.

In 1984, as a result of the restoration work planned by Anna-Kaisa Ylimaula, the church was restored as closely as possible to its original appearance. Visitors to the church can see how the roof and the bell tower in particular reach upwards. On the second clock of the tower, an inscription has been made asking for a blessing for the Finnish people.

This church is part of the Oulujoki Pilgrimage route. Read more from the web page!

Oulujoentie 69
90650, Oulu
Turkansaari museum church.

Turkansaari museum church

The oldest wooden church in the Oulu urban area serves as a summer church and is located in Madekoski, in the Turkansaari open-air museum area. Nowadays it functions as a beautiful wedding venue for many summer weddings. In the Middle Ages, the island was the westernmost marketplace for Russians and Karelians. As was typical of the time, the church was built in connection with the marketplace. The fishing industry also had an important role on the island.

When the days of trade and fishing were over, the church was demolished and transferred to Raati island, where it served for years as a storehouse until Östen Elfving, founder of the Turkansaari open-air museum, bought it and returned it to original location in 1922.

This church is part of the Oulujoki Pilgrimage route. Read more from the web page!

Turkansaarentie 165
90310, Oulu
Oulu cathedral from outside.

Oulu Cathedral

The beautiful Oulu Cathedral stands in Oulu’s monumental centre, on the same site where several church buildings were located over the centuries, with the oldest dating back to the late sixteenth century. The wooden church that was built on the site in the 1610s was replaced by a cathedral designed by Daniel Hagman of Sweden and completed in 1777. The cathedral, built of natural stone, was so big that all the 2,400 inhabitants of Oulu could fit in it at the same time!

Throughout the centuries, densely built wooden towns were vulnerable to urban fires. The Oulu fire of 1822 completely destroyed the wooden structures of the cathedral. The movable property was saved in time, and the fire left only the stone walls standing. The current stone cathedral was completed in 1832 according to the neoclassical designs of C. L. Engel. The most notable work of art in the cathedral is the portrait of Johannes Messenius, painted in 1611.

Among the cloud cherry trees in the garden is the Pikku-Sofia church for children. It is a model of Oulu’s very first wooden church from the late sixteenth century.

This church is part of the Oulujoki Pilgrimage route. Read more from the web page!

Kirkkokatu 3 A
90100, Oulu